After a long day of travel- I finally have a second to update on my time in Italy! To run you down on the busy day my mom and I had on Friday let me give you a list of all we did:
- Woke up and walked to my school to pick up my mother!
- Walked to Zocodover (the main square) in Toledo and stopped at a coffee shop for some breakfast.
- Took a taxi to the train station and I cried as I drove further away from my beautiful city of Toledo.
- Took a 33 minute train to Madrid.
- Got to Madrid and took the wrong Metro train and ended up in the wrong station.
- Decided to take a taxi to the airport.
- Took a 2 hour plane ride to Rome.
- Landed in Rome and took a 40 minute bus ride to the main train station in the center of Rome.
- Got on the metro and rode it for about 10 stops until we got off at Cornelia.
- Stopped in a local café and pizzeria for some food and wifi because we were both dead.
- Finally walked 10 minutes to our Airbnb.
- Checked into our Airbnb.
- Called a taxi.
- Went to the Musei Vaticani (Vatican Museums) where we saw the most amazing frescos and sculptures done by Raphael and the Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo.
- Took a taxi back home.
- Fell right asleep.
As you can see… our first day was pretty jam packed with things! One of my favorite parts of the day was stopping by the local café for some food before going to our Airbnb, the owners daughter helped us order a drink, 6 slices of pizza and an Italian fried rice ball (which definitely has a more impressive Italian name) for 4.90 euros!
I had reserved tickets to the vatican museum at night because the other time slots were already booked! We were pretty exhausted after the day of travel but it was pretty cool to see all the amazing works at night time and well worth the trip. The renaissance art was breathtaking and the museum is the 6th most visited in the world!
Overall, the day was extremely busy and tiring but Mom and I made the most of our first few hours in Rome! After visiting the museums we were eager to return to the Airbnb for a much needed few hours of sleep!
Worry less and smile more.