In case you haven’t checked your calendars recently, tomorrow is Valentine’s Day! I have always been torn about my attitude toward this holiday. In Elementary school I can clearly remember giving my secret crushes cards on this particular day because it seemed like the perfect opportunity. By the time Middle school rolled around I had grown to have a pretty pessimistic attitude toward the holiday (being that I still hadn’t had a boyfriend- oh how naive I was back then!) By the time I reached High school, I figured it was just best to ignore the day altogether because I knew nothing would come of it.
I am very pleased to say that now that I’ve reached college, my entire perspective of the day has changed once again. (Real shocker I know) I realize that the day is fun for people who are in relationships, but I am viewing at as a day to be appreciative for my singleness.
Without further ado, here are just a few reasons why being single is AWESOME:
- You can focus on yourself. Especially at such a crucial time like college, it is really nice not being tied down to someone. Ultimately, you come first and you have to do what’s best for you!
- No drama. No worrying about who told who what, where he/she is, or why they haven’t texted you back all day.
- Save yo’ money. Having a significant other is great and all, but it can get costly! I am not saying that it isn’t great to spend money on someone you care about, but when you are a college student counting pennies it’s nice to not have to budget all your money.
- Opportunities to meet new people! I feel like sometimes when people are tied down in relationships, they don’t branch out as much and meet new people. This is especially sad because there are so many interesting people in this world!
- You can treat/love yourself. You don’t need another person to stress your self-worth, you are a beautiful soul who ultimately only needs yourself to be happy. (This girl is getting a nice box of chocolates for herself tomorrow!)
- Not having to worry about meeting someone else’s expectations. You are so worthy just being yourself. (Side note: if you are in a relationship and your other is giving you unrealistic expectations, please cut him/her out of your life. You don’t need that negativity.)
- Watch all the chick flicks you want and get no judgement. That’s right, you want to binge watch The Bachelor or Gossip Girl? Go for it girlfriend.
- You have time to form really close friendships. Friendships can last a lifetime whereas relationships seldom do.
- Take a day out of your week to treat yourself! Go out to the movies with your friends or spend the day in doing facials and painting your nails. You deserve it!
- Finding out more about yourself and what you want out of life. It is best to do this without someone else’s opinions getting in the way.
So there you have it! Being single can be pretty great, just like being in a relationship can be. On my Valentine’s Day I am planning to go see How to Be Single with my friends and taking some time for some self-pampering.
Whether you have a person attached at the hip or you are riding the single wave, I hope you have a great day!
Worry less and smile more.